New Year Coffee Morning 2015



I am a new(ish) volunteer for the Reader Service and have just been to my second coffee morning which was attended by over a hundred users and volunteers. This event provides a lovely informal opportunity to catch up with other volunteers and users.  I was pleasantly surprised at how many people I recognised and know.

The event was very well organised by Karen the co-ordinator with a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and a lovely choice of yummy cakes.  The ladies serving up these delights do an amazing job.  I did try and help but was more of a hindrance so backed away gracefully.

The coffee morning is paid for from the proceeds of the raffle.  Just over £300 was raised this time.  The prizes, which had all been donated, were very good although unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to win, perhaps next time.

The formal part of the morning was very relaxed with Paula Suchy, chairperson, introducing two guests as well as expressing thanks to Karen and the volunteers, and of course service users who all support this event.

Mark Lancaster MP then spoke to the audience expressing his appreciation for the service and how it supports the local VI and disabled community.  He commented on the number of letters he had received supporting the service, noting concern that funding might be cut in the Milton Keynes Council’s next budget.  He also spent time talking to users and volunteers and seemed to enjoy the coffee morning.

Anne Shepherd from CLM Fleet Management plc based in Newport Pagnell, then presented Paula with a cheque for just over £100 which had been raised from a raffle.  The company was pleased to be able to support a local charity.  I am sure Paula and Karen will put the money to good use.

In addition the Eye for Art group, for which I am also a volunteer, raised £151 for their service from the sale of hand painted silk scarves and bracelets which were made by users and volunteers.  The quality of the items is very good, ideal for presents if you can bear to part with them.

A photographer was also popping up here and there to record the morning; I think I managed to stay incognito.

The morning went by very quickly and it was time to say “au revoir” until the next time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.